• May 4Finals - May 26 & 29, 2018

• May 4Senior Trip - May 21, 2018

• May 4Senior Final Exams - May 16 & 17, 2018

Digging deeper: 5 things you should know about construction at FHS

Bethany Bergschneider, Staff Writer

If you haven’t noticed the construction going on at FHS, you must live in a hole. It’s projected to run from October 30, 2017, to August 1, 2018, making it an interest to taxpayers as well as a long-term project that the whole community should be informed about. Here are the top five facts to know:

1. Alexander’s handicap accessibility issues would cost about $250,000 to fix, which isn’t a wise investment due to the building’s age.

2. The new elementary wing will contain three 30’×30’ classrooms for 3rd-5th grades, along with a small gymnasium. K-2 will be housed in East Grade.

3. The project’s total cost is around $6.5 million: $2.8 million from sales taxes, $1.5 million from interest-free federal bonds, and $2.5 million from the tax referendum.  Mr. Stremlau, our superintendent, says: “Initially, our plan wasn’t to try to pass a referendum, because we were going to just use the sales tax money, but as we got further into the project, we thought, ‘Hey, why not go for it all?’, and without those three sources, we wouldn’t be able to do the things we have set up to accomplish. We’re very blessed…that the taxpayers supported a referendum.”

4. The new wing will eliminate the 25 minutes Alexander students spend on the shuttle bus every day, providing more class time along with creating another practice area for sports. The project also includes a new HVAC system and new windows.

5. The project is moving along well. Todd Taul, the project manager, says, “There’s really nothing I dislike about the project; the construction is going well and everyone is doing their job.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Digging deeper: 5 things you should know about construction at FHS”

1. Janie Bergschneider on December 8th, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks for the information, Miss Bergschneider!

[Reply]

2. stacey on January 31st, 2018 9:36 am

250,000 is awfully high for handicap,plus you can go online check out the prices for chair lifts and for AGS would cost about 100,000.either way 250,000 is a drop in the bucket compaired to 6.5 million.you need to do some research on old buildings for example our state capital and our old state capital among others are still up and running.the high school and jr high are newer than AGS and are in worse shape.AGS has become an inconvience to some who have to travel 7 mi.one way while others travel 30mi.one way to their jobs.we are in the spoiled generation.No,losing AGS is not a blessing losing it is a waste of money,so enjoy paying taxes for the next 20yrs.PS..GRP,the people who are building the new one,says we wont be saving money,hmmm that’s not good.

[Reply]

• News

YouTube HQ shooting

• News

YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED AT FHS!!!!

• News

St. Patrick’s Day

• News

School Shootings

• Digging deeper: 5 things you should know about construction at FHS

News

Send a Crush to YOUR Crush!

News

Life, death, and teens eating Tide pods

News

The bomb cyclone

News

The flu outbreak 2017-2018

News

Yes We CAN!

• Features

The problem with addiction