• March 14FFA Livestock Judging April 6

• March 12April 10 - HS Track @ Carrollton @ 4:30

• March 12FFA Banquet - April 5 @ 6:00 pm

South County “Suits” up for a new season

Callie Hughes, Staff Writer

There is a bright future for the South County boys basketball team in the eyes of Coach Suits. “We have a young group of freshman that are very fun and athletic.” This seems to be the theme of this year’s season–their young team core will carry them. Freshman guard Grant Marshall said, “It’s a new kind of basketball and we’re playing with the big boys.”

Some of the challenges, as one would expect, are becoming acclimated to the way Coach Suits runs practices and their plans at games. The New Berlin Turkey Tournament was a marker for the team, as it showed Suits where the team is. The team had an 0-5 start at the tournament with some tough losses. The tournament tipped off on November 20th and ran through the 25th.

South County started the tournament on Monday the 20th and had a hard matchup in New Berlin, the eventual runner up in the tournament. They lost 41-31 to New Berlin. The next day of the tournament South County played West Central, the champions of the tournament and lost 70-47. They ended the tournament with losses to Lincolnwood (43-35), Lutheran (67-52), and Macon Meridian (65-45).

Some key returnees for the South County roster are Adam Morris, a senior power forward; Jackson Smith, a sophomore point guard; Mark Talbert, a senior small forward; and Kody Moore, a senior center. Suits said that he is hoping for the seniors to step up and lead the team.

One of South County’s newest leaders this season will be Riley Raven, a junior. He will take the biggest step this season and get more varsity time. Coach Suits noted that Riley has made significant improvements on and off the court.

South County’s bench is another threat this year and they are hoping they can utilize that. Some of the young guys are going to be playing bigger roles this season, which should provide more depth for the roster.