• February 15JHVB - Feb. 22 vs. Northwestern @ Home

• February 15HSBB - Regionals Feb. 19 - Feb. 23

• February 15HSBB - Feb. 16 @ Triopia @ 6:00

The harsh reality of senior year

Abigale Trout, Staff Writer

Barack Obama once said, “ And when your journey seems too hard, and when you run into a chorus of cynics who tell you that you’re being foolish to keep believing or that you can’t do something, or that you should just give up, or you should just settle—you might say to yourself a little phrase that I’ve found handy these last eight years: Yes, we can.”

As a senior in high school you are maturing and becoming more independent and soon to be living in the adulthood. To some, this means your last chance to be a kid. A lot of seniors waste what should be a great senior year by living in the future. Others waste their last year in high school by making terrible decisions and putting themselves in danger. Some do make their senior year a year to remember and carry what they have learned throughout their lives. You have a lot of power as a senior. Power to make some heartbreaking decisions which can result in lifelong regret. The same power can give you the opportunity to leave a positive impact in others lives, Such as your family, other classmates, and especially the underclassmen.

In order to get a good understanding of how senior year at Franklin High School is going for some of our seniors, I interviewed Colin Tillery, Carolyn Wood, and Alexis Elmore. I chose these different students because I knew each answer would differ from their different personalities.

Colin Tillery sees himself being in the military in five years because he would love to serve our country. Colin said there were many hard and challenging parts to his senior year but the most challenging to him was his senior project because it requires a lot of time out of class to complete. If Colin had any advice to give the underclassmen at Franklin High School it would be to “get involved with clubs and sports this is important so then you can get out and meet new people.” Though Colin faced trials during his senior year, he admitted that he knew that it would be difficult and require hard work and dedication.

Carolyn Wood sees herself being an aerial gunner in the military. Carolyn is going to miss seeing an abundance of people everyday once she graduates, and if there is one thing she could take with her from Franklin High School it would be to: “Be careful who you trust. People talk and if you don’t want to hear it don’t say it.” When I asked Carolyn who inspired her the most she answered, “Two of my teachers, they always have something informational and kind to say. They have helped me through most of my high school career.” Carolyn’s advice to the underclassmen is to be smart, do your homework, and if you don’t understand something don’t complain–ask questions.

Alexis Elmore, in five years, plans to be in college to become an RN because she wants to make a living for her son, Maverick, and herself. One thing that made high school the most challenging to Alexis was the drama and trying to ignore it because it’s not worth it. After graduation Alexis is going to miss her friends the most. Alexis said senior year was the most difficult grade because she has a child and it takes extra effort. Alexis says she has grown up and realized to get somewhere in life you can’t give up. Alexis said, “If I could start over in high school I would because I never tried in school until now.”

A lot of people can’t wait to get into high school and become a senior, but no one really knows how hard it is and all of the difficult challenges there are before graduation.