• March 14FFA Livestock Judging April 6

• March 12April 10 - HS Track @ Carrollton @ 4:30

• March 12FFA Banquet - April 5 @ 6:00 pm

Gaggles of giggles

Bethany Bergschneider, Staff Writer

Gracey Raven demonstrates her best “laughter face” for a photo shoot.

It’s cliché, but nonetheless, here it is: Laughter is the best medicine. Yes, that might sound like some sort of inspirational poster you would see in an elementary school classroom or a cute Instagram selfie caption, but it really is true. According to Helpguide.org, laughter “boosts immunity, lowers stress hormones, decreases pain, relaxes your muscles, (and) prevents heart disease.” It can also lower blood pressure, boost t-cells, and, therefore, your immune system. In addition, laughter can cause the release of endorphins, which have a similar effect to morphine, but without the possible addiction. Essentially, laughter is an effective, no-cost treatment for many different issues with no prescription or hospital visit required.

Unfortunately, you can’t just walk into a pharmacy and buy an over-the-counter bottle of laughter–it takes a little more effort than that. Because everyone has a different personality, everyone laughs about different things. Kyle Jennings, a freshman at FHS, says that his pugs make him laugh. He likes “just how lazy and stupid they are.” According to Mollie Allen, laughter can hit at the wrong time: “Definitely awkward situations. I always laugh when I’m not supposed to.” She also says her brother makes her laugh. Both Jennings and Allen agree that funny comments from others can cause laughter, too.  Ms. Scannell says that animal videos and students make her laugh. One of the funniest answers she’s ever received was to this question: What is the job of a column writer? The answer was ‘to write columns.’

With all the sadness and negativity in the world, a little bit of laughter can benefit everyone. No matter where your laughter comes from or what makes it happen, it’s still beneficial to your health and mental well-being, so laugh along with the happy moments in life. Smile, grin, giggle, chuckle, crack up, or split your sides. Have a little bit of fun. It truly is good for you.

Works Cited

“Laughter Is the Best Medicine.” Helpguide, www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-health/laughter-is-the-best-medicine.htm. Accessed 22 January 2018.

Gaiam. “7 Health Benefits of Laughter.” Gaiam, www.gaiam.com/blogs/discover/7-health-benefits-of-laughter. Accessed 22 January 2018.

“Pain and Stress: Endorphins: Natural Pain and Stress Fighters.” MedicineNet, www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55001. Accessed 22 January 2018.