• March 14FFA Livestock Judging April 6

• March 12April 10 - HS Track @ Carrollton @ 4:30

• March 12FFA Banquet - April 5 @ 6:00 pm

St. Patrick’s Day

Madie Kesterson, Staff Writer

As Tennessee Williams once said “Luck is believing you’re lucky”. St. Patrick’s Day is international festival that occurs every year on March 17, in memory of St. Patrick. The celebration started in 1631 when a church recognized a day for the remembrance for Saint Patrick. He was a Patron Saint who died around the fifth century.

“Legend says St. Patrick was actually born Maewyn Succat, but that he changed his name to Patricuis (or Patrick), which derives from the Latin term for “father figure,” after he became a priest” (Ross).

During this time, more Irish were starting to come across the Atlantic, which made the celebration slowly grow in popularity. The first St. Patrick’s day parade was held in Boston in 1737. In 1903, the celebration became a national holiday in Ireland. Today, we wear green to celebrate this festive holiday.

Green is one of the colors associated with Ireland’s flag. Ireland is the “Emerald Isle,”named for its green landscapes. Green is also the color of the shamrock, spring, and the Chicago River during St. Patrick’s weekend, that the Midwestern City has dyed for the past 40 years (Haq). 

If you forget to wear green on St. Patricks day, watch out– someone will pinch you. This pinching tradition started in the 1700s. If you don’t pinch someone wearing green, the leprechauns will will not give you any luck and you will be miserable for ten years (Haq).

At Franklin High School, we will be having an assembly on Thursday, March 15 to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

Work Cited

Allen, Patrick. “The Real History of St. Patrick’s Day.” Life Hackerwww.lifehacker.com/the-real-history-of-st-patrick-s-day-1793354674 Accessed 6 March, 2018.

Ross, Ashley. “The True History Behind St. Patrick’s Day.” The Time, www.time.com/4261456/st-patricks-day-2016-history-real-saint/ Accessed March 2018.

Haq, Husna. “Why Do We Wear Green on St. Patrick’s Day.” The Christian Science Monitor, www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2010/0317/St.-Patrick-s-Day-Why-do-we-wear-green. Accessed 6 March 2018.