• November 192:00 Dismissal November 19th

• October 31Contact Ms. Scannell to purchase a yearbook!

Are you spooked?

Taylor Knifley, Staff Writer

Halloween comes with many amazing, spooky surprises, such as costumes, trick-or-treating, pumpkins! Along with all those great things, we can’t forget horror movies! Horror movies are one of the top 3 things people look forward to during Halloween. While horror movies have come a long way, we can’t forget the originals: Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Jeepers Creepers.

At FHS, we like to get into the spooky season by decorating and dressing up. Some of the students enjoy horror movies while others prefer not to watch. Olivia Treece, a junior, said that she enjoys watching horror movies because they are entertaining to watch and actually see how scary they are. Chloe Leonard, a freshman, admits she does not watch them on her own but she does with her friends. Olivia Treece explained that she cannot watch horror movies alone because she will not be able to sleep at night. Blake Henke, on the other hand, claims that watching scary movies alone doesn’t bother him.

During Halloween dozens of new horror movies come out. This past year a remake of Stephen King’s IT came out; the original was made in 1990. While Blake Henke says he prefers the classics, he did enjoy the new IT when it was released. Chloe Leonard also states that she went to see the new IT, but she didn’t think it was as scary as other movies she has seen; in fact, it was sort of funny to her.

With the new horror movies coming out, I was interested in whether or not the students like to go out and watch them in the theaters. Both Chloe and Blake prefer to rent them at home, while Olivia likes to do both. Watching movies in theater can sometimes provide a better experience with the movie–especially a scary movie.

Horror movies brings out spirit in some people during Halloween. Decorating, trick-or-treating, and pumpkins are just the beginning.