Digging deep for a cure

Back to Article
Back to Article

Digging deep for a cure

Callie Hughes, Sports Writer

The Dig Pink game is a staple of Viper volleyball. This year, the Varsity Lady Vipers edged out West Central in 3 sets and JV took West Central in two. Although competing is obviously a big part of the game, what’s more important is the cause they played for. The game is in support of those who have cancer–mainly, those we have lost and survivors still here today.

Even though it wasn’t a home game this year, the same roar of the hometown crowd was along for the ride, cheering on the Vipers the whole way. The players can give a more accurate description of the crowd. Mollie Allen elaborated about how she liked playing at Winchester and the crowd was still very enthusiastic, but Bella Parrish thought playing in Franklin is better because there are more people there from the town.  

Though the game may have not been a post-season matchup, the same intensity was there. Varsity Coach Becky Spencer says, “The atmosphere is great! It’s like a postseason match. Lots of excitement for the players and fans.”  The fans are a key part of the game. Sophomore Taylor Knifley reflected on the fan section, explaining, “They are really big part of helping us win.”

Still, the players are the ones that we, as fans, owe the excitement to. Believing is the key to succeeding for this Vipers team. When all things come together great things can happen. Coach Spencer really has seen the team improve all season, and winning this game left her with some great things to talk about. “The team finally believed in themselves and what they could do together! We don’t look like the same team in any area.”

This game meant more to the South County team because someone close to them is going through cancer. The proceeds went to Julia Points-Campbell, an aunt of a player and the junior high assistant volleyball coach.

A few games later, the Vipers defeated West Central to bring them to a total of 19 wins. Coach Spencer couldn’t be more proud of the girls. “We are playing just how we need to going into the postseason. I could not be more proud of this team and what they have accomplished, and excited about what the future holds for us!”

Catch the Vipers striking in their Class A regional on October 23 that is taking place at Greenview. South County is the fifth seed. Their first game is against the third seed, Lutheran High School.