Are you addicted?

Abigale Trout, Staff Writer

According to The Guardian, only one in twenty kids in the United States meets guidelines on sleep, exercise, and screen time, and nearly one-third are outside recommendations for all three.

The amount of screen time that most individuals spend on their phones has increased in the last eight years. A foundation formed by the Kaiser family discovered that eight to eighteen-year-old children devote an average of six to seven hours to entertainment media each day, which will total an average of fifty-three hours a week.

Too much screen time has also been linked to a majority of problems when being a young teenager. Excessive electronic use increases the risk of obesity, interferes with social activity, contributes to decreased family time, and takes a toll on mental health. If you were a parent wanting to limit screen time, a few things you could do would be to make screen time a privilege, establish clear rules about electronic use, encourage physical activity each day, and educate your child of the risk he or she is taking when spending an excessive amount of time on their electronics (“Mobile Phone Addiction? It’s Time to Take Back Control”). 

For Isabella Lucas, Ben Graham, Bailey Rees, and Mr. Waggener, phones are a priority throughout the day. Freshman Isabella Lucas has many different types of electronic devices, including a television, laptop, Play Station, and iPhone 8. Isabella’s estimate on the average time she spends on her phone was 5 hours receiving fifty-five notifications in one day. When looking at Isabella’s screen time on her phone that tracks the average amount of time she spends on her phone weekly, it showed one hour and forty-eight minutes per day along with eighty-eight notifications. After looking at the difference between her guess and the actual average Isabella stated that she does not feel addicted to her phone like others are.

Sophomore Ben Graham at Franklin has a laptop, Xbox, and iPhone X plus. He gets on Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter at least once a day. He says that he would have to guess he spends at least five to six hours on his phone each day receiving four hundred notifications each day. Ben was close on his guesses–he spends an average of three hours and thirty minutes on his phone a day receiving an average of one hundred and twenty-two notifications each day. Ben agrees with Isabella and does not think he is addicted to his phone.

Senior Bailey Rees has a laptop, iPad, television, and iPhone 8 plus. The social media accounts that she spends the most time on each day would be Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter. Bailey said that Snapchat is definitely her most used social media app with the others close behind. Bailey’s guess to how many hours she spends on her phone was eight hours each day with three hundred notifications. According to her screen time average on her phone, she spends an average of four hours and fifty-two minutes a day receiving two thousand two hundred and fifty nine notifications a day. Bailey, unlike the others, says that she does feel addicted to her phone.

Mr. Waggener, the new junior high/high school principal for this school year, had the lowest results by a landslide. Mr. Waggener has a laptop, two smart televisions, and an iPhone X. He thinks that he spends only one to two hours on his phone a day receiving only fifty notifications a day. Mr. Waggener only has two social media apps: Facebook and Twitter. When looking at Mr. Waggener’s average screen time on his phone he only spends an average on one hour and forty-six minutes a day on his phone receiving only sixty-three notifications a day.

Works Cited

Dredge, Stuart. “Mobile phone addiction? It’s time to take back control.” The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/27/mobile-phone-addiction-apps-break-the-habit-take-back-control Accessed November 9, 2018.