• March to Memphis March 28

• 2019 Franklin Follies: April 13 @ 6:30

• 2:00 dismissal March 22

• March 16: HS Baseball vs. Athens

Jingle all the way to Franklin for the holidays

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alexia Christison, Staff Writer

Bright eyes, warm food, and glittering lights: these are the sights of the Franklin Fourth’s first ever Christmas Festival. It was an inspirational picture of a community brought together in celebration of the holiday season.

Coordinator of the event, Aleece Ford, is excited for what the event is going to bring to the community in years to come. “The idea is the continuation of the festival and growth of the activities and events each year.” Ford invests a lot of her time in the community, putting together events including the Franklin Fourth of July. She expressed that the Christmas festivities took “roughly a year to plan.” It takes a lot of dedication and heart to put together a festival as stunning as Franklin’s over this past weekend.

After working the quarter auction for the senior class, an enthusiastic member of our community, Jesse Killebrew, Avia Lowe’s mom, had nothing but good things to say about Ford and the event. “Aleece and the others who helped her always do an amazing job putting these events on.” She was satisfied with all of the activities. “I wouldn’t change anything about the festival! The trees are absolutely gorgeous, and I’m really hoping that I win the Snap On tree!” Her favorite event of the festival was the quarter auction. This was evident by her obvious excitement and quick reactions every time her number was called.

The high school played a huge role in the activities throughout the weekend. The junior and freshman classes got many compliments on their chili dinner and high bids on their donated trees, the sophomore class held a successful 3-on-3 basketball tournament, and the seniors raised over $600 during the quarter auction. Organizations and clubs inside of the school, including Yearbook and FFA, participated in decorating trees for the festival of trees event. Fortunately, all of the trees had bids and were auctioned to individuals in the local community. The senior class is donating a little over $300 to the Franklin Fourth to fund the next Fourth of July events. They will then be splitting $200 of their auction money to go to local stores and shopping for the angel trees, while using a little over $100 of the profit towards the canned food drive.

The support from local small-town communities are what makes these special events possible. Make sure to jingle all the way to Franklin next holiday season for the second weekend-long Christmas Festival.