Are you ready, kids?

Leslie Stoeckel, Editor

No matter the age, so many of us are ready to yell out “Aye aye, Captain!” The memories of Spongebob Squarepants can be so easy to recall. Our spongey friend who lives in a pineapple under the sea has been around since 1999. Sadly, before the yellow sponge could celebrate having his show for 20 years, the life of Stephen Hillenburg, the creator, has come to its own end. While we mourn the loss of the man who brought us Spongebob Squarepants and all his friends in Bikini Bottom, we can still reflect on the positives of the show that impacted the childhood of many. 

Spongebob Squarepants first came to television on March 1, 1999, with the episode “Help Wanted.” Ever since proving himself to be the best fry cook for the Krusty Krab, people can’t help but be drawn into seeing what other situations the little sponge can get himself into. Whether we’re kids or kids at heart, the show has a charm that draws people in. As Ms. Wisehart noted, the episodes like “Band Geeks,” “Pizza Delivery,” “The Camping Episode,” and “Krusty Krab Training Video” and quotes such as, “These are my friends, Penny, Chip, and Used Napkin,” or “Can’t you be stupid somewhere else?” “… Not til four” show that even small moments from the show can stick with us. We know the jokes can live on, even if quoting it seems like silly inside jokes for those who made sure to watch any time the show was on.

Sometimes it’s even the memories associated with the show that make it so fun to still enjoy, like trying to find out how exactly you’re supposed to rub pickle slices together to hear a tiny squeaky noise. Ms. Wiseheart has her own fond memories related to the show, still smiling when she looks at a painting of Squidward’s “Bold and Brash” one of her students gave her years ago for Christmas. The painting is still hanging in her classroom with the names of everybody in that class signed on the back.

In the end, some may wonder: with Hillenburg gone, will Nickelodeon still try to keep the show running? Will we give the residents of Bikini Bottom the rest they may deserve?

“I would love to see it continue because it’s one last part of my childhood,” Wiseheart says, “however, I think some of the recent episodes haven’t been as good as the originals. I wouldn’t want the quality to suffer if the show continues.”

As Hillenburg made many childhoods happier with the world and characters he created, we’ll always remember him for “being #1.”

References

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0707293/?ref_=ttep_ep1