• March to Memphis March 28

• 2019 Franklin Follies: April 13 @ 6:30

• 2:00 dismissal March 22

• March 16: HS Baseball vs. Athens

Dancing the night away

Coya Graves, Staff Writer

Attending prom is almost every little girl’s dream–wearing the perfect dress and being swept away by a night of fun. Prom, short for promenade, started out originally as a college graduation celebration.”The prom can be traced back to the simple co-ed banquets that 19th century American universities held for each year’s graduating class” (Suddath). Eventually, the tradition was picked up by younger generations and by 1940s it was the dance we know today.  In the 1950s, “A thriving postwar economy allowed high schools to eschew the traditional gymnasium in favor of proms held in hotels or at country clubs” (Suddath). 

The White House was the setting for a prom in 1975, specifically for President Ford’s daughter, Susan. Prom is no longer just an American event; interestingly enough, Canada and the United Kingdom hold their own proms. Parents can play a huge role in this process by paying for parts of the festivities: “Accounting for the tickets, dress cost, tux rental, limos, and other common prom expenses, parents have paid an average of around $900 for their youngsters to attend the annual dance. In 2013, the average peaked at $1,139 for some very lucky teens” (Catcher). 

Lainey Bergschneider, a junior at Franklin High School, is excited for the dance because she had fun at homecoming and she is hoping for a similar experience. Lainey’s sister normally does her hair for all her dances, but she hasn’t decided if she is going to have her put up or if it’s going to be half up. She is also unsure about whether or not she is going to have her makeup done professionally or do it herself. When looking for a dress, she said she was searching for, “something that is comfortable that I can dance in–just something that caught my eye.” Lainey also loves being on prom committee because she gets to be a part of decorating and is able to see the transformation of the prom space, which makes going to prom even more surreal.

Work Cited

Suddath, Claire. “Brief History of The Prom” Time. http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1987594,00.html Accessed 9 April 2019.

Catcher, Jess. “10 Surprising Facts About The History High School Proms That You Never Knew” Little Things. https://www.littlethings.com/history-of-proms Accessed 9 April 2019.