• March to Memphis March 28

• 2019 Franklin Follies: April 13 @ 6:30

• 2:00 dismissal March 22

• March 16: HS Baseball vs. Athens

Army strong

Leslie Stoeckel, Editor

Most high school students are familiar with the National Guard, mainly because of recruiters coming for school visits. Some students are planning to enlist after or during their high school years, mainly for a military job close to home or assistance paying for college. 

There are two branches of National Guard, Army and Air. To be eligible to join either branch, the future soldier should be around ages 17-35, be a U.S. Citizen or have a permanent residence, achieve a minimum score on the ASVAB test (36/99 for Air and 31/99 for Army, 50/99 for enlistment bonuses), and meet all medical, physical, and moral requirements. Along with this, the future soldier can serve either as a junior in high school or have a high school diploma. If the future soldier meets all requirements, the joining process consists of having no outstanding tickets, being free of probation or any felony charge, filling out the necessary paperwork, going through MEPS (military entrance processing station), completing a written test and full medical physical, signing a contract, and taking the Oath of Enlightenment.

Following these requirements is basic training and AIT, depending on which job has been chosen for the student. Basic training is exactly as it sounds, giving soldiers-in-training the basic skills to becoming a soldier over the course of ten weeks. AIT follows after graduation, giving additional skills related to the career the soldier has chosen. After these two events, the soldier is now ready for everything the National Guard has to offer.

For those who wish to have the National Guard in their future, talking with Staff Sergeant Reel during the next planned school visit is all it takes to make that first step.