Casting into the pond

Coya Graves, Staff Writer

The history of tournament bass fishing started with a man named Ray Wilson Scott, Jr., going all the way back to fifty-two years ago. “At the time, many bass derbies were loosely run and cheating was rampant. Scott envisioned a tournament with ironclad rules that would attract ethical anglers” (Hicks). He wanted to change the bass fishing status from “second-rate rowdies to respectable sportsmen” (Hicks). Not wasting a second, Scott made his first event the All-American Bass Tournament. In June that same year, he convinced 106 bass fishers from 13 states to pay a entry fee of $100.

Drake Stephenson, a freshman at Franklin, claimed the bass fishing team started because it passes time and it keeps kids busy in a productive manner.

The rules of bass fishing are as follows: the bass has to be over 12 inches long, you can’t use live bait, and, unless it’s an emergency, you can’t get off your boat. In order to be on the team, students must stay off of the ineligible list, as with all other sports and activities. A minimum of four people are needed to make a bass fishing team. Practice for bass fishing depends on how many tournaments are scheduled for that specific week.

Work Cited

Hicks, Mark. “‘The 50-Year Evolution’ of Tournament Bass Fishing.” Game & Fish. https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/50-year-evolution-of-tournament-bass-fishing/192993. Accessed 6 May 2019.