‘Tipping’ off a new season

Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Tipping’ off a new season

Callie Hughes, Sports Writer

Unfinished business‒this is the story for the South County volleyball team returning eight seniors. Chemistry should be a big factor in helping propel this team to new levels. Head Coach, Becky Spencer, elaborated on how last year’s season is pushing them into this season: “The experience that we got last year will be key to what we are able to do.” The team has been playing at a higher level while still losing close sets to three local central Illinois teams including Triopia, Lutheran, and West Central. Two games went into a third set. The games were close but Spencer stated that in order for them to get better they “need to be pushed every single night.” 

The team also has a new culture this year. They are ready to accomplish more than losing at the regional level. Spencer credited their hard work ethic during the summer for their will to win more games. Due to this newfound level of play, Spencer was especially pleased with how the team played against Lutheran on August 27th. “We stayed with them. I think that proved to us and other people that we have things to look forward to.”

The team placed third at the Meredosia tournament, losing out on the championship by a point. After the tournament, however, the Vipers beat Calvary, placed 4th at the Lincolnwood tournament, and defeated Nokomis and Mt. Olive. They also had some impressive wins against Mt. Olive, Nokomis, and Greenview. The Vipers’ next home match is October 3rd against Pawnee. Home matches are always great due to the new fan section. Senior Abby Crow commented “there is more support, other than our parents, and they actually cheer.” 

These are the upcoming games and theme nights:

• October 3- Tie Dye
  • October 10- Pink night
  • October 12- Fresh/Soph day
  • October 15- ’Merica Night
  • October 21- Jersey night

All games listed are at Franklin High School and the start time is 6 for JV.