Prepare well, play better

Taylor Knifley, Staff Writer

Playing sports is a big part of the students’ lives at FHS. More than 50% of the student body participates in sports. In order to stay in shape during off season, athletes work out and, in some cases, pay close attention to their diet. Still, some athletes just enjoy their time off and relax.

Grant Marshall, a junior, only has to stay in shape during the summer. During the school year, Grant participates in three different sports, so during the summer he focuses on his running and tries to go at least 3 or 4 miles a day. “I do running exercises during the summer for cross country during the fall, but cross country keeps me in shape for basketball and basketball keeps me in shape for track. I also enjoy jumping rope, it helps improve my coordination between my eyes, feet, and hands,” Grant explained.

In addition to exercise, diets are a big part of an athlete’s life. Diet can affect an athlete’s ability to run or other physical activities, such as improving the ability to focus both on and off the court. Callie Hughes, a junior, participates in basketball, golf, and track, so having a healthy diet can contribute to her athleticism. “I try to keep away from all the junk food during my off season but I definitely eat better during sports. I try to eat mostly fruit, protein and carbs during season because I am burning off more calories faster so I have to consume more,” Callie mentioned. Some students eat healthy all year round and always stay away from junk food. “I normally eat healthy all year so my diet doesn’t really change during season. I mostly eat fruits and vegetables and no processed food. I have to keep my body fueled for both cross country and track season,” Bethany Bergschneider, also a junior, explained.

As much as athletes love playing their sports, off season can give them a rest period as well. “I love getting time to rest and focus on other parts of my life like scholastic bowl and my other hobbies. I also like not being stressed out all the time and being able to get my homework done sooner,” Bethany shared. An athlete’s off season can be one of the most relaxing times for them. Relaxation is important, but rest is also essential for muscle growth. “Exercise creates microscopic tears in your muscle tissue. But during rest, cells called fibroblasts repair it. This helps the tissue heal and grow, resulting in stronger muscles,” Nunez stated in the Healthline article.

Works Cited

Nunez, Kirsten. “Are Rest Days Important for Exercise?” Healthline, https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/rest-day. Accessed 10 December 2019.