Covid-19 and high school sports

Kyle Jennings, Staff Writer

For many high school students, spring is the time for track, baseball, and softball, but this year is one we have never seen before. Since March 13, all schools in the state have been closed and for one of the first times in history, all sports in the state have been canceled because of the COVID-19 virus.

For seniors, this is the last season they have to represent their schools in the sports they have been training and waiting for, but now it’s looking like they might not be able to participate this year due to the governor’s stay home order. The stay at home order was originally only supposed to last until March 30 but now has been extended until the end of April. This takes a whole month out of practices, games, and meets for high school sports.

As of April 13, there has been no update on when this state at home order will end and when sports will resume. The Illinois High School Association has stated that “…here are state governmental, educational, and health departments that will need to approve this action as we get closer to it. It is too early to say definitively that IHSA activities will resume on May 1st.” IHSA has stated that it is possible to push the season back into June, but it is still too early to know.