Preparing for the second wave

Kyle Jennings, Staff Writer

Last March, the United States went into lockdown due to COVID-19. Ever since then medical experts have warned the public about a second wave that could potentially hit in the fall. We now have seen an increased spike in confirmed cases and have many people asking, “Is this the second wave?”

According to Johns Hopkins, the simple answer is no. “No, we’re still in the first wave. In some sense, the spread of the coronavirus so far has been more like a patchwork quilt than a wave. The COVID-19 pandemic in the U.S. is affecting different areas throughout the country in different ways at different times.” This means that although Texas, for example, could hit a second wave, Illinois could get the same second wave months after Texas’s ends. It’s always been rumored that warmer weather would bring an end to slow COVID infections. It did slow down infection rates by 20% (Maragskis, 2020).

As we enter the fall season concerns of COVID are growing as students return to schools. Many parents and students have questions about returning to school. Franklin went into lockdown last year in March and it came as a surprise to many. One day we were in school and the next we were out for the rest of the year. Many questions have been posed about student safety and the readiness of the school for a second wave. Mr. Waggener said, “We are taking the threat of the second very seriously.” He says that Franklin has been coordinating with the Morgan County Health Department to properly identify symptoms and contact trace potential cases. Overall, Franklin is working hard to prepare for the second wave and is trying hard to keep students and staff safe. 

Works cited

Maragakis, L. L. (2020, August 14). First and Second Waves of Coronavirus. Johns Hopkins Medicine. Retrieved October 08, 2020, from  https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/first-and-second-waves-of-coronavirus