2020-21 SCV boys basketball preview

Callie Hughes, Staff Writer

With the South County Boys Basketball season around the corner, uncertainty still lingers. This Vipers team is poised to make a run and they have all the tools to do it. “The seniors from last year decided their goal was to start their own legacy, and this year’s group will want to continue to build on that.” There is one difference from this squad than last year’s: “some can play guard or forward, while others are very athletic for their size and length. The skill of the group as a whole is something we are excited about as a coaching staff.” 

Point guard, Grant Marshall, is described as a “hard-nosed defender and competitor, a very good shooter and ball-handler, and a team leader.” This is Grant’s third year as a starter for the Vipers squad. Another senior returner is Luke Schumacher. Luke is the perfect guy you want at the shooting guard spot. Luke is a tough player that can really shoot the ball as well as it gets. He is also a good defender and “usually gets a very tough assignment on defense.”  Seger Brown is the third senior. Seger, like others on this team, is a great defender and competitor. He is an “improved shooter and slasher.” The last senior is Will Ross. Will moved here during his sophomore year and never played basketball before. He is super athletic and is always improving. “His hard work and effort this offseason will pay off for him this year.”

There are five returning juniors for the team as well.  Matt Crow is a great passer. Collin Foster is a strong and physical player. Trenton Sampson is a highly skilled on-ball defender. Jayden Turner is a talented slasher. Tyler Kanganis is a high motor player. 

With all of these returning players, anything is possible for this Vipers squad. Currently, Coach Graven doesn’t even know the starting five. “This group is so competitive the starting lineup could change nightly. We are really looking forward to practices and having that high level of competition on a nightly basis.”

One thing he does know is that this team has the potential to accomplish a lot. “We believe this year’s team could accomplish whatever they set their minds to. This team will have the luxury of depth and length.”