54th Country Music Awards

Kyle Jennings , Staff Writer

Once a year all major country music artists and musicians get together to celebrate all the new music that has been released. For Franklin residents, country music is the dominant genre with many students listening to it constantly. These songs resonate with the small-town lifestyle Franklin has to offer. 

This year was the 54th Annual Country Music Awards and some big names were up for top awards, such as the entertainer of the year, which was taken home by Eric Church. Church beat out big names, such as Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood, and Luke Combs. Cody Spencer, whose favorite artist is Eric Church, felt that he fully deserved to win the award.

Maren Morris also won big with her single “The Bones,” which was chosen for two separate awards, including song of the year and single of the year. She also won the award for top female singer of the year. Morris dominated the awards with the most won this year.  Luke Combs also won big with male vocalist of the year but just barely missed out on taking home entertainer of the year. Massive names such as Jason Aldean and Old Dominion performed at the CMAs.

All award shows are plagued by unhappy fans disappointed that their favorite artist did not win. Cody was one of those fans last year. “In the 2019 CMAs Eric Church was up for winning but lost to Garth Brooks, which everyone including me was kind of mad about, and he had been robbed of winning before.” Bryce Rickert was disappointed with this year’s turn out because he felt that his favorite artist, Luke Combs, should have won the award of entertainer of the year. “Luke Combs [is] absolutely outstanding and I think he’s the best in country music right now with no competition even close.” Although his favorite artist did not win, Bryce is still excited for next year’s award show because “they show the best of the genre and shows what the future of country music will look like.” 

Works Cited

https://cmaawards.com/nominees-winners/