DeVonta Smith

The underdog story

Callie Hughes, Staff Writer

DeVonta Smith grew up playing football in Amite City, Louisiana. Smith was a five-star recruit coming out of high school (The University of Alabama). The college scouts had one thing to say about him, though, and that was the phrase too small. Standing at only 6’1 and 175 pounds, Smith had a small frame. However, this did not limit his play on the football field. 

In his freshman season at Alabama, Smith caught three touchdown passes. In his sophomore season, Smith did more work and amassed 42 catches. The year of significant improvement was his junior season. That year, Smith was named a second-team All American and recorded 68 catches. In his senior season, Smith tallied 23 touchdowns (The University of Alabama). He was also a first-team All-American and the first wide receiver to win the Heisman trophy since Desmond Howard in 1991. 

Recently, Smith led Alabama to the National Championship. In that game, Smith loaded the stat sheet with 216 yards and 3 touchdowns for the Crimson Tide, who beat the Ohio State Buckeyes 52-24. Local Alabama fan, Trevor Colwell, shared his thoughts about Smith’s play. “Devonta Smith had a record-breaking first half that proved he deserved the Heisman. He had to be taken out at the end of the first half but still managed to break tons of records.” Freshman Isaac Long also chimed in. “He played really well for his stature and size.”

The story of DeVonta Smith shows anyone that being too small cannot stop you from doing what you love and excelling at it.

Works Cited

“DeVonta Smith.” The University of Alabama,  https://rolltide.com/sports/football/roster/devonta-smith/6374. Accessed 25 January 2021.