Vipers open season against PORTA

Callie Hughes, Staff Writer

525,600 minutes–that is the length of time this team has waited to take the floor. This team was ready to win and eager to play. On Tuesday, March 16, Petersburg PORTA came into Franklin for a non-conference matchup.  The Vipers rallied against PORTA, but came up short in three sets. Scores of the sets were as follows 18-25, 25-20, and 21-25. 

The Vipers had a tough road ahead of this game. They faced Greenfield Northwestern, Springfield Lutheran, Lincolnwood, and New Berlin. The players came into the PORTA game unprepared and Coach Spencer was pleasantly surprised with their play. “Considering they had almost no time to prepare they played well.” Their defense and hustle helped them prevail in the second set. Even though they lost, sophomore libero, Ella Prince, thought they had some good chemistry. “We went above and beyond trying to work together as a team.”

Coach Spencer has high expectations for this team. “Expect us to compete for a share of the conference title. I think we are going to have an exciting season and their record will show the talent they have. The beginning schedule of games is brutal and we play a lot of experienced teams. The more games we play, the more we will get better every night.”

Their record stands at 1-4 as of March 30.