Page craze

Thaddeus Bergschneider, Staff Writer

Students typically fret and procrastinate over writing a couple of paragraphs for their English homework. Mikah Ribble, however, is currently writing three stories, all of which are a “little” past the two paragraph mark‒one with 40 pages and the other with 170 pages. The 170-page story, titled “Where The Worlds Meet,” has been a fantasy-genre project of Ribble’s for over a year and a half. Yet, a year and a half hardly sums up the extent of writing done. Creating books “at a very, very young age,” Ribble has started a plethora of books, and had many more ideas which didn’t even make it to the page. 

Where do these thoughts begin? With no prompts, or word count goal, those story ideas are born from the creativity of Ribble’s mind. The spark of this inspiration can often be found in the classrooms of FHS. “I found, actually, that it’s after I learn something new. I’m in Earth and Space Science and a lot of stuff that we’re talking about in that class gives me so many different ideas,” Ribble said. 

Once one of those different ideas is discovered, Ribble says she often finishes the first chapter in only a day. More an exploration of what’s already in her mind rather than the intentional creation of a specific fantasy, the middle chapters tend to flow very easily as well, as she plunges into the world she has so deeply imagined. The ending, however, tends to be harder. “Then when I hit the end I have no idea what I’m doing, or how I’m getting there. It’s at a standstill for the longest time,” she explained. 

Though the writing process may be enjoyable for Ribble, her end goal is finding her work at last tangible. Something beyond the countless pages of script on her computer. “I want to get it out there, mostly for me. I want to see my book physically in front of me, that’s my big goal, honestly.”