Kickin’ it

Thaddeus Bergschneider, Staff Writer

Basketball. Volleyball. Football. Cheerleading. Softball. Baseball. Cross Country. Swimming. Track. Franklin has always maintained a wide selection of sports to participate in. And now… soccer? For the first time, soccer is now an available sport to participate in at Franklin High School through co-ops with Springfield Lutheran and North Mac. 

Jacob Carter was the lone participant for the boys fall season that ran from August 26 to mid-October, extended by winning a postseason game. Playing center back and goalkeeper on the Lutheran Varsity team, Carter was a consistent part of the Crusader’s success. “Our record was 17-6, but at one point in the season we had at least 6 games where we shut teams out (6 shut-outs) and a 9 game win streak,” he said. A reflection on his importance to the team, Carter won the award for the best defensive player.  Excited to play next year, Carter is looking to bring some more Franklin players with him. “I might ask a couple of new freshmen coming in next year to see if they’ll play,” stated Carter. 

The girls soccer team will be playing with North Mac this upcoming spring. Leading the charge is Jordyn Colwell, a frequent soccer player in the past. “I played from when I was in first grade to 6th or 7th in New Berlin, and some club teams,” Colwell elaborated. Unlike Jacob’s lone participation, there are multiple girls joining Colwell on this new adventure. “There’s a lot of us. There’s 12 of us (girls),” she said. Glad to be joined by people she knows, Colwell can’t wait to get started. 

The season starts February 28, with games starting on March 14. Be on the lookout to attend games and cheer on your Vipers!