Digging deeper: 5 things you should know about construction at FHS

Bethany Bergschneider, Staff Writer

If you haven’t noticed the construction going on at FHS, you must live in a hole. It’s projected to run from October 30, 2017, to August 1, 2018, making it an interest to taxpayers as well as a long-term project that the whole community should be informed about. Here are the top five facts to know:

1. Alexander’s handicap accessibility issues would cost about $250,000 to fix, which isn’t a wise investment due to the building’s age.

2. The new elementary wing will contain three 30’×30’ classrooms for 3rd-5th grades, along with a small gymnasium. K-2 will be housed in East Grade.

3. The project’s total cost is around $6.5 million: $2.8 million from sales taxes, $1.5 million from interest-free federal bonds, and $2.5 million from the tax referendum.  Mr. Stremlau, our superintendent, says: “Initially, our plan wasn’t to try to pass a referendum, because we were going to just use the sales tax money, but as we got further into the project, we thought, ‘Hey, why not go for it all?’, and without those three sources, we wouldn’t be able to do the things we have set up to accomplish. We’re very blessed…that the taxpayers supported a referendum.”

4. The new wing will eliminate the 25 minutes Alexander students spend on the shuttle bus every day, providing more class time along with creating another practice area for sports. The project also includes a new HVAC system and new windows.

5. The project is moving along well. Todd Taul, the project manager, says, “There’s really nothing I dislike about the project; the construction is going well and everyone is doing their job.”