• May 4Finals - May 26 & 29, 2018

• May 4Senior Trip - May 21, 2018

• May 4Senior Final Exams - May 16 & 17, 2018

Favorite holiday movies of FHS

Madie Kesterson, Staff Writer

As Buddy the Elf once taught us, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing aloud for all to hear.” Yes, It’s that time of the year. It’s Christmas time and you know what that means? Christmas movies are out again. Here at Franklin High School, we’re obsessed with Christmas movies. It’s our favorite time of the year. I can’t wait to tell you about our favorite Christmas movies.

I gave a survey to two female and two male teachers in order to find out what their favorite Christmas movies are. The teachers chose were Miss Isaacks, Dr. Cobbs, Mr. Bonjean and Mrs. Davenport.

Mrs. Davenport and Dr. Cobb both revealed their favorite Christmas movie to be A Christmas Story.  The movie was made in 1983 made by Jean Shepherd. The movie is about a young kid named Ralphie Parker who spends a lot of time dealing with a bully and dreaming of a special Christmas gift–the Red Ryder air rifle. Knowing their favorite movie, I asked if they thought the movie taught them anything. Dr. Cobb happened to learn that you shouldn’t ever stick your tongue to a cold pole. I also asked them what their favorite thing about this film was and they both stated that the narrator describes what the main character is thinking and his commentary makes the movie hilarious.

Mr. Bonjean and Ms. Isaacks both said that their favorite Christmas movie is Elf. Elf was made in 2003 and written by David Berenbaum. Buddy, the main character, is played by Will Ferrell. Buddy the Elf was accidentally sent to the North Pole as a toddler. He does not feel right there so he travels to New York in a full Elf uniform to find his real father. After a DNA test, Buddy and his father start a relationship. Mr. Bonjean says he likes the movie because it’s upbeat and it makes him feel good. He says that his favorite thing about this film is that the way that Buddy describes things allow kids to use their imagination when they visualize it. He also says today’s Christmas movies put him in the mood for Christmas. Ms. Isaacks says the film is her favorite because of the humor in it. She says that the film makes her feel very happy and puts her in the Christmas spirit because of how happy Buddy the Elf is.

I also made a survey, for junior high and high school students, asking them what their favorite Christmas movie is. First, I asked them what their favorite Christmas movie was with the following choices: Elf, A Christmas Story, Home Alone, and other. The results are as follows: 44.1% said Elf, 23.5% said other, and 26.5% said Home Alone was their favorite. This goes to show you don’t have to be a certain age to enjoy a good Christmas movie. If you have any spare time, you should go watch a few of these movies.