• October 152:00 Dismissal October 24th and 25th

• October 15Parent Teacher Conferences - October 24th and 25th

• October 15No School October 26th

Show me a smile

Bethany Bergschneider, Staff Writer

Even if you don’t want to admit it, at one time, there was probably a special show that made you sprint for the television so you could turn it on in time–it would obviously be a catastrophe if you missed even a moment of the theme song. Speaking of the theme song, you can probably still sing the whole thing. Be honest. Maybe you had a character-themed toy or pair of pajamas. Maybe you still have the pajamas. (Hopefully, if you’re reading this, you don’t still own a plush Dora the Explorer). Think of that one show or movie that makes you nostalgic for the days of picture books, Goldfish, and learning the ABC’s.  Regardless of whether it was Backyardigans, the Brady Bunch, or Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, it might still make you smile.

Different generations have had their own defining shows, from Gilligan’s Island to SpongeBob Squarepants. According to NY Daily News, the average American watches 5 hours of TV a day. Given those stats, it’s easy to imagine why we remember so much of our favorite programs. Emily Jones, a senior, says that her favorite TV show as a child was Dragon Tales. “It was very colorful and had me use my imagination.” Lenajean Hurst, also a senior, was a Dragon Tales fan, too. They both remember the characters holding a magic pebble and wishing to go somewhere else.

On the other end of the spectrum, Mr. Smith enjoyed Westerns. He had a pony and a guitar, so he would pretend to be a cowboy, claiming that as a child, “You enact your real heroes.”  Although he liked many other shows, too, he says they were almost all humorous and taught him a similar message. “You accept everyone around you, we all can act stupid at times, and it’s okay to act stupid as long as you know the limit.”

Freshman Callie Hughes liked Hannah Montana, a show about the double life of a teenage pop star, saying it was funny and had a good storyline. “I cried during the last episode…it was just heartbreaking.” Although I doubt Disney planned to break young hearts and shed tears with their show, it was popular nonetheless.

Dr. Cobb enjoyed The Three Stooges. He remembers acting out certain episodes with his brother.  “Every episode, they come up with some idea, usually a get-rich quick thing…they come up with these intricate plans, but they’re so absurd that it’s just hard not to laugh.” His takeaway message from the show was to enjoy life and not take it too seriously.

Whether ‘younger you’ enjoyed watching cowboy chronicles or the adventures of a teenage singing sensation, there are still fun memories from it think back on. Regardless of the show, the lessons it conveyed and the laughter it created should stick with you long after you’ve outgrown it.