• May 4Finals - May 26 & 29, 2018

• May 4Senior Trip - May 21, 2018

• May 4Senior Final Exams - May 16 & 17, 2018

Can teachers have more than one job?

Kyla Ward, Staff Writer

Brad Henry once said, “A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning.”

Some people do not realize that teachers do actually have lives outside of school, other than just being a teacher. In fact, some teachers actually have seconds jobs. Their second jobs can be only during the summer, while others can be throughout the whole year.

A second job for a teacher could pertain to school, like coaching a sport, or it could be another completely different job outside of school, like retail or fast food.

Christina Stocker, a high school teacher at Franklin High School, also coaches Junior High Softball. She has been teaching for 7 years, and she has only been coaching softball for 1 year.

Her softball season took place mostly in the summer season; however, it does go into the school year, but only by a few days. Coach Stocker reminisced, “This past summer I spent three hours a night for two weeks practicing. After the two weeks of practice, we had a game three to four nights a week and a couple of all day Saturday tournaments. So for the whole season I would guess that I spent 80 hours, give or take a few.”

Mrs. Stocker always wanted to coach something, but she was not really sure if she would have been good at it. The coaching spot for softball became available and she took the opportunity.

Rebecca Reed, a third-year teacher in her first year at Franklin High School, works a second job only in the summer. She documents and inputs crop insurance for a local farmer. Ms. Reed said, “A family friend asked me to help him out. It’s an easy way to earn money, and gives me something to do during the summer.”

I asked both of the teachers what job they enjoy most and why. I got two very different answers from both teachers. Ms. Stocker admitted, “I enjoy them both. I enjoy getting to see kids in a way that most teachers don’t get to see them. I enjoy the camaraderie that was created by the team. I really enjoyed seeing the growth that each girl made during the season.  However, I do enjoy teaching too. It challenges me everyday with something new. I get the pleasure of see students becoming successful. I also get to see the ‘I got it’ moments–that is amazing to see.” Ms. Reed said, “They both have their ups and downs. Teaching gives me a sense of reward and purpose, but inputting insurance doesn’t come with the stress that teaching does.”